Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Economics, Politics and Religon

The United States is tottering very close to the edge. I'm sure you've noticed if you havent been living under a rock.

Wikipedia: "Apocalypse is a term applied to the disclosure to certain privileged persons of something hidden from the majority of humankind. Today the term is often used to refer to the end of the world, which may be a shortening of the phrase apokalupsis eschaton which literally means "revelation at the end of the æon, or age".

The Bible, Daniel 2:28; "that which shall come to pass in the latter days,"
compare Daniel 10:14, "to make thee understand what shall befall thy people in the latter days"

MSNBC: SAO PAULO, Brazil - "Astounded by the U.S. government's failure to resolve the financial crisis threatening the foundations of the global free market, fingers of blame are pointing at America from around the planet."

Urban Legends.com: "How long is the beast allowed to have authority Revelations Chapter 13 tells us that the beast is allowed 42 months of authority over the earth. That is almost a four-year term as President. According to The Book of Revelations: The anti-Christ will be a man, in his 40's, of MUSLIM descent, who will deceive the nations with persuasive language, and have a MASSIVE Christ-like appeal....the prophecy says that people will flock to him and he will promise false hope and world peace, and when he is in power, will destroy everything .. Is it OBAMA?? I STRONGLY URGE each one of you to repost this as many times as you can!"

UrbanLegends.com Comments: "Barack Obama, the Antichrist? This would have to count as the ultimate political smear. I mean, accusing a politician of accepting bribes or cheating on taxes is one thing; naming him as the "Seven-Headed Beast of Revelation" (a.k.a. "the Wicked One," "False Prophet," and "Beast from the Abyss") is candidate bashing on an apocalyptic scale. Though it is unclear what, besides being charismatic and popular, Barack Obama has done to earn this dishonor, outgoing Antichrist designee George W. Bush must be thrilled to see a newcomer wearing the ungodly mantle. Obama joins an extensive roster of modern luminaries branded with a "666," including Adolf Hitler, Vladimir Putin, Pope Benedict XVIL Bill Gates, and Barney the Dinosaur. For the record, while Barack Obama is in his forties and by most accounts a persuasive speaker, he is not a Muslim (nor, for that matter, does the Book of Revelation say the Antichrist is a Muslim), nor has he ever delivered a stump speech promising "world peace."

Geroge Carlin: "Some people believe that life begins at conception. I believe that life began about 1 billion years ago and keeps on rolling, rolling, rolling along."

Washington Post.com: "SHANGHAI - Looking down from his building's 87th floor at the glittering signs of multinational banks along the river here, Fan Dizhao declared confidently that Wall Street's reign as the world's No. 1 financial hub is coming to an end. The United States may be grappling with its worst economic crisis since the Great Depression, but these are go-go days in China. Fan, an investment manager at Guotai Asset Management, which oversees funds valued at about $5.1 billion, said that despite the country's inexperience in the financial sector, China has a rare trump card: mountains of cash."It is inevitable," he said, "that we will take the U.S.'s place as the world leader."

Opinions are flying all over the place. The world IS crazy - but when hasnt it been? Man is an immature and violent plauge of locusts. We have swept the world over, conquering our own kind for selfish reasons in both the name of God and just plain greed. I understand the need for people to look towards a higher power, it makes them feel safe, that there may be hope after all. I do, however, have hope for the American Government. We have been thru a lot in our infancy and I believe this is just another stepping stone to continue life as we know it.


Things may change, yes. BUT - the more they change, the more things stay the same.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew thee out of my mouth.
Revelation, 3. 15

Anonymous said...

the greatest thing about this entire post is that fucking picture. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it all and love your perspective, but that picture has got to be a classic.

Margo said...

GREAT blog...I couldn't agree more. You have a way with words and you should have your own column. I LOVE the picture you found...I think I want to hang it in my cube!!

John Boy said...

Interesting blog Tracy

Yes, opinions fly everywhere. Opinions are like assholes, we all have one.

I will not share my specific opinions about what is going to happen to our country, but I would like to provoke a little thought…

You see, it doesn’t take a genius to know that our country is weakening, and we ask, “what can restore our strength; What can sustain us; What can get us over this next hump?”

Some say God, others say education; still more say allegiance to our country.

I don’t mean to sound arrogant when I say I know the answer, but it’s just that I’ve been all over this world, and I’ve fallen into just about every popular flawed thinking you could imagine, only to come back to something that I knew as a child.

Remember this: Regardless of who you are, where you were born, or the religion in which you were raised, how educated you are, or how much you have or have not seen. None of these things will help us in finding the essence of human existence and the key to our success or the success of our nation.

Love matters…

I’m not talking about the kind of love that we boast about in our ubiquitously cool retro pop culture. I’m talking about the kind of love that makes sacrifices, respects and honors commitments.

So often I hear people speak of love as some abstract concept that is going to save us from our troubles. Allow me to put love into perspective.

If we love; we will not steal, we will not lie or initiate undue harm upon others or upon the earth that sustains us. We will not seek vengeance. We will not curse life, or the mystery behind it. We will not fuck our neighbor’s spouse or cheat on our own spouse. We will not abuse our bodies and our minds.

We will not do these things because the very act of loving precludes the desire. Love is not a discipline or a feeling, it is a state of being.

If we love, we will however; honor our commitments, give our excess to those who have little and ask it of us. We will not live in fear. We will live passionately. We will laugh. We will cry. We will experience greater joy and sorrow. We will not be lukewarm as your friend above quoted from Revelation.

On that note, Revelations is an interesting book, but I encourage people to not get too wrapped up in the whole end of the world thing. Consider this: Regardless of when the world as we know it will end, remember that your life as you know it will end. The world is just a place where we create and share experiences with each other. Short or long, life is truly what we make of it. I encourage people to make life good.

Also, while I have no specific faith tradition of my own that I practice, I never devalue the wisdom and history of the world’s religions. Though I know religions are often abused and misused, these traditions help many refocus their being on Love.

If you want to change the world, try treating those in your life with real love. I promise you that it will spread, and you will change the world. The trick is not letting the apathy of others cause you to lose faith in this principle. Of course, that’s an enterly different issue to be discussed at another time.