Thursday, November 22, 2007

Today is...

Thanksgiving.

The ultimate Thanksgiving Movie has to be Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. I cry laughing each time I see it - and I've seen it more than most. If you want to check out some excellent movie quotes that still have me chucking, click here.

I'm home now, after a long day out. I got up at about 7:30, not by choice. I couldn't sleep. SO I decided to get up and go to Meijer. I needed wine to take to Pam's and I figured the earlier the better. It was fairly crowded, but I know had I been there for the 6 am doorbusters, it would of been a different story.

I did manage to snag a HP color deluxe photo shop printer that prints labels for CDs and DVDs, cards, quality photographs (only up to a 5x7, but still) not to mention regular printing needs. I got it for $39. It had been like $70. I also got some down feather microfiber throws. $10 each. Nice.

Dinner was good - although I did get to hear a few Marisah stories from the MIL. She has more pictures of Ronnie, Lisa and the baby than she does of me and Brian. Its so totally fucked. She didn't even hug me when we came in. Gary was nice and drugged, as usual. He sat most of the visit, staring off, eyes half closed, toking on one cigarette after another. He's up to 4 packs a day now. Sarah came along with us to indulge in a good dinner and to hopefully torture Lisa by a nice low cut blouse, seated in front of Ronnie at the dinner table. But sadly, they did not show. The one year I would of had the attention off me, and the bitches didn't show. Oh well, so much for drama. But all in all, it was not a bad visit and everything was OK.

Thanksgiving has never meant much to me. Please don't take offense. I was not allowed celebrate it most of my childhood. My mother is a Witness, so all holidays were out. So they were never a big deal to me. Holidays were just another day. I remember eating dinner at Longhorn one year on Christmas Day, just my mom and I. We were the only people in the restaurant. Growing up as a witness was definitely a different experience. Like any encounter, they have their good points and bad points. We were taught not to associate with "worldly people" meaning, anyone not in the religion. I accepted this until I was a teenager. Then I told my mom I'd go if I wanted, not because she said I had to.

The only religion I can compare to my mother's are the Amish. They have very strict rules. Some of these rules also apply in other religions, but add all the fucked up ones together and you get the list below:

* Oral Sex is forbidden in ANY circumstance.
* Masturbation is forbidden.
* Premarital sex can land you extradited from the church until you 'repent".
* You must only associate with those of the same faith, because, and I quote "Bad associations spoil useful habits". Not that this isnt good advice - but still. Confucius could have said this.
* You must not marry outside the religion. If you do - the ceremony cannot be held at the Kingdom Hall.
* Witnesses are expected to study from childhood to strive to be an Elder or higher in the Church. They do not recommend secondary education. All spare time should be spend in God's work. You are expected to move towards baptism from an early age.

Here is a typical week for a Witness:
Monday: Study for Tuesday Book study
Tuesday: Book study
Weds: Study for Thursday talk and discussion
Thursday: Church Service
Friday: Prepare to go door to door, making notes and stocking supplies of magazines and phamplets.
Saturday: Field Service from 9 am till around 1 pm. At home later, they study for their Sunday magazines lesson.
Sunday: Church service.

Does this sound like me? Never. I don't commit that much time to anything with the exception of work. And trust me, if the witnesses wanted to pay me to sit there - I'd have to re-evaluate becasue thats alot of time=money. But I just cant live my life that way. I'm sorry and I made my choice. I'm willing to deal with the consequences.

However, after dinner, I dropped by to say hello to my mom, but she was not home. I left her plate of food in the fridge and walked around the house while it was quiet and I had a chance to be alone there. I walked in each room and sat down for a minute. It was the house I grew up in. My parents room was quiet and comfortable. A few memories flashed and I moved onto my old room. My old black lights are still up - Jessica loves them. When I lived there I bought a 1000 piece space set and covered my entire room in black light responsive stars, moon, and planets. I turned the black light on, the overhead light off and layed on my old bed for a minute. My ceiling fan was slowly stopping, and I could see each individual sticker. I closed my eyes and recalled instances in the room. Memories....dreams, life. I love that house. I turned the porch light on and left for home.

So, for my first attempt: I am thankful for my family. I am thankful to my friends. Those reading this especially. You each help me along in life in ways you cant imagine. Thank you for being my support. I am thankful my mom and dad can still get along after everything life threw at them. I am thankful that Debbie and Chuck are together and that Ashley is growing to be a fine beautiful woman. I am thankful for Biscuit, Katie and Sophie - I don't needs kids to be happy. They bring me joy and peace in my hectic life. Last but not least, I am thankful for each day I wake up. Every day is another chance to better yourself and/or situation.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

now see this was a beautiful and informative post, truly.

However, you had to go say
"My mother is a Witness, so all holidays were out."
and that had to make me start thinking about Halloween (trick or treat) and the obvious humourous connection. Just one of the many reasons I will be going to hell. :)

Anonymous said...

So...being a Witness isn't for you, so that just makes your decision final to be a Scientologist? I think that settles it...Xenu will be very pleased. You are thankful for so much - I had Nate all week so my "thankfuls" aren't as plenty...YOU try beign with him that long!!!!! LOL