Monday, December 29, 2008

To New Years....AND BEYOND!

I'm going to have to be completely honest here.

THIS YEAR SUCKED A BIG FAT HAIRY SWEATY ASS.

Since I have been alive - by far - this has been the worst year I have ever endured. I wonder if it truly will get worse as I get older. I guess that's partially up to me, really.

Karma has bucked my ass around like a kickball this year. I am definitely being paid back for everything wrong I have EVER done in my life. I take this as a wake up call - and I'm taking it seriously. This year I have had to prove to myself that I CAN....and that I WILL. I just have to. I'm going to take with me the hard lessons I've learned this year and apply them. I know the person that I want to be is not hard to reach. I need to figure how to reconnect with who I am because what I've been doing obviously isn't working.

Each year I grow a little more in every way. I enjoy keeping an open mind, exploring my options and trying new things. Maybe the reason this year sucked so bad is because of growing up I was forced to do. I sucks to know what real life is like. The act of being totally responsible for yourself. I feel like Jack, in the middle of the beanstalk - looking up a long ways...looking down a long ways. Tho the section of this year's ladder was mighty difficult, I did learn a few important lessons. Truly meaningful ones. This is likely the culprit of the pain and sadness, but they say to love until it hurts along with no pain no gain...and they are right.

I have learned humility and to be humble. I have learned that family truly is the most important thing. I've learned that my problems are nothing compared...

I am not a unique snowflake.

While our world is crumbling around us in economic and human despair; I can only sit, watch and hope. And bowl on my Wii.

Onto less serious issues.

So every year I do my resolutions...its become a tradition.

Below find my resolutions for last year. The ones I completed are in bold. I had to add comments too.

2008:

1. Continue to go to the gym and be healthy. Plan to reach goal weight this year by June/July. (haha - yeah. That lasted about 5 minutes. Better luck next year.)
2. Plan a girl's weekend in Gatlinburg this year.
3. Taking up a hobby that Brian and I both enjoy to do together.
4. Write and Read more - try to keep from getting into dry spells.
5. Do a better job of keeping in touch with those I care for. (Eh - I did better, but not good enough to consider it completed.)
6. Rekindle my love for cooking.
7. Finish the front yard landscaping.
8. Join a bowling league again. That shit was FUN.
9. Go to KY to do a family documentary.
10. Make peace mentally with some of the skeletons I've hidden. (altho - now I have new ones to add...fun fun)

Five out of ten isn't too bad.

2009:

1. Utilize Gym Membership
2. Finish writing projects
3. Take a nice vacation(s)
4. Maintain a nice savings account
5. Learn to be more patient
6. Spend as much time with family as possible
7. Re-kindle contact with distant relatives and friends
8. Take the dogs swimming more than once
9. Try something I've always wanted to do
10. To thy own self be true.

I guess that about does it.

Here I come 2009 - ready or not.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Savior's constant desire and effort were to implant in the mind right thoughts, pure motives, noble ideals, knowing full well that right words and actions would inevitably follow. He taught, and modern physiology and psychology confirm, that hate and jealousy and other evil passions destroy a man's physical vigor and efficiency. What a man continually thinks about determines his actions in times of opportunity and stress. A man's reaction to his appetites and impulses when they are roused gives the measure of that man's character. In these reactions are revealed the man's power to govern or his forced servility to yield.

John Boy said...

I can’t overstate how much truth is in what this fellow Matthew says.

"…jealousy and other evil passions destroy a man’s (or woman’s for that matter) physical vigor and efficiency. What a man continually thinks about determines his actions in times of opportunity and stress. A man’s reaction to his appetites and impulses when they are roused gives the measure of that man’s character."

I have come to know this through personal experience in this life--lessons of success and failure.

Furthermore, I would like to add that the most powerful and nourishing thought for the whole of our being is thankfulness. Such a thought is like a foundation for all other positive thoughts, leading to great outcomes.

Some people I know wonder why I am doing so well in life despite some clear fuckups, and I will say that I am doing very well. It is not because I am a smart business man, or an extremely motivated person with goals and all that bullshit. Some would say I am simply lucky, or made some lucky choices, but that’s not the case. I am successful because I am thankful for all I have, and such thankfulness has a way of attracting more and more blessings. It is not luck or hard work that brings good things into our lives. It has everything to do with our attitude. Even in my states of utter failure to do and be the best I can do and be, I never stop feeling thankful for all I have. The feeling must be genuine; one cannot fake it by uttering prayers of thanksgiving. It’s a feeling that simply pours out of the soul. For people who have trouble feeling thankful, I recommend they travel the world a little and see how truly hard life can be for some, but take careful notice because even in the lowliest conditions of human life there are those who are thankful for what they have, and they are successfully blessed.