Thursday, January 22, 2009

Inauguration Day 2009

Welcome to 2009!

Yeah - I know I'm three weeks late. I've been busy.

Work has been extremely productive which is great...because that means I have a job. Apparently, that is becoming more and more uncommon. I heard last night that ALL Circuit City stores are closing. That makes me sad. That's where I get most of my DVDs for our collection. They tend to have DVD sales that are knock out - $3, $4, $5 DVDs....no more of that I guess. Ill have to resort to half.com and deepdiscount.com. Its just amazing that a company that is so well known and has been around FOREVER can't even make it in this economy.

SO.....the big question: Did you watch the inauguration? I did. I had to. Obama is a good man. I think he actually has good aspirations for our country. He has fresh, new ideas and has the love of the country-folk a lot like JFK. It made me proud to be an American, proud that my vote counted and I made a difference. It couldn't ALL be good though - I was very, very disappointed in Rev. Lowery's benediction prayer. We made history on 1/20/09 - The first President elected that has African American Roots. Instead of noting how we have made progress, he had to add at the end of his speech:

"Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get back, when brown can stick around — (laughter) — when yellow will be mellow — (laughter) — when the red man can get ahead, man — (laughter) — and when white will embrace what is right. - (silence)"

OK. I'm offended. Seriously. Yes, I am white and always have been (as far as I know). Color is what ignorant people see. I felt that all the old Reverend did was announce his opinion to the world that white people need to learn that all other races should be allowed to exist.

FUCK THAT.

Racism comes in all colors. We whities aren't all bad - just like all Japanese aren't bad - just like all Russians aren't bad - just like all HUMANS there are good ones and bad ones. Race is a red herring.

The fact that they allowed him to say such a racially charged statement was totally uncalled for and ruined what was a historic day for our nation. Obama asks the country to unite as one, not under race or religion, to become a stronger and united country.

Rev. Lowery is an old man obviously still tied up with anger towards white people. Just like old white men from the same generation have the same issues with black people. I wonder if he could look Obama's mother in the eye and repeat that speech. By the way - Did everyone forget his mom was white? I think he had his chance to get his digs in, so he did.

I am totally willing to forget his speech because frankly - the fact that Obama is now our President is all that matters to me. I just felt it sent a bad message to the world: Yes, white people have grown enough to elect a minority into office - but they are still intolerant people.

ALL PEOPLE ARE INTOLERANT, ASS!

Race is just an excuse. Get over it.

3 comments:

Margo said...

I totally agree. I did NOT vote for Obama because he is black and we needed a "first black president". I voted for him for what he stands for and believes in. For his well-rounded up bringing and everything else. (Not to mention the scary thought of Palin in a position of anymore power than she already has) I am tired of the focus being on his color. He worked hard to keep that out of his campaign, and that was the focus of EVERY reporter on EVERY channel during inauguration. People crying and everything. I colored the whole thing wrong. And don't get me started on the Rev's speech. That was just WRONG.

Anonymous said...

I am so in love with this guy, it's actually making me start to wonder if he IS indeed the anti-christ lol. I am trying to be realistic. nobody can get through this thing and do everything correctly, but I love what I am seeing so far.

Already set forth legislation to close a facility that stomps on our most basic beliefs as Americans and outlawed... uhm TORTURE. No big stretches there, I suppose, but they made me cheer none the less.

It's funny you mentioned Kennedy. I was telling my mom everything from the way he speaks, to his cute little kids, to the way Mrs. Obama dresses reminds me of Kennedy.

anDREa said...

dudse, call me tonight. yea.